Food Thread!

I'll be looking for good ones too. I don't cook much. I do have one tip for good pumpkin or squash dishes. Add a T spoon of vanilla. Takes the after tast off. Wonderful flavor for pumpkin pie too.

Reactions: Paintman
My favorite jambalaya recipe. He beat Emril's! But I use Emril's Essence to season. No shellfish for me tho. More room for chicken and sausage !
Chicken, sausage & prawn jambalaya
A GORGEOUS DEEP SOUTH MASH-UP

“I've stayed true to the Creole classic with a melting pot of flavours, influences and ingredients ”
SERVES 8
COOKS IN1H 20M
DIFFICULTYSUPER EASY

Chicken, Dinner Party, Dairy-free, Gluten-free
NUTRITION PER SERVING

• Calories
    19%
  • Fat
    31.0g
    44%
  • Saturates
    10.0g
    50%
  • Protein
    57.6g
    128%
  • Carbs
    81.2g
    31%
  • Sugars
    6.8g
    8%
OF AN ADULT'S REFERENCE INTAKE

RECIPE FROM
Jamie's America
BUY THE BOOK
WATCH THE SHOW
Ingredients
  • 4 higher-welfare chicken thighs
  • 4 higher-welfare chicken drumsticks
  • sea salt
  • freshly ground black pepper
  • cayenne pepper
  • olive oil
  • 300 g quality smoked sausage, such as andouille or fresh iberico chorizo , skin removed, cut into 1cm thick slices
  • 1 large onion , peeled and roughly chopped
  • 1 green pepper , deseeded and roughly chopped
  • 1 red pepper , deseeded and roughly chopped
  • 4 sticks celery , trimmed and roughly chopped
  • 4 bay leaves
  • 4 sprigs fresh thyme
  • 6 cloves garlic , peeled and sliced
  • 1-2 fresh red chillies , deseeded and finely chopped
  • 400 g tinned chopped tomatoes
  • 1.5 litres organic chicken stock
  • 700 g long-grain rice
  • 16-20 raw king prawns , from sustainable sources, ask your fishmonger, peeled and deveined
  • 1 handful fresh curly parsley
SHARE THIS RECIPE
FACEBOOKTWITTEREMAILPINTEREST

TAP FOR INGREDIENTS
Method
  1. Jambalaya is a French word that means ‘jumbled’ or ‘mixed up’, and I have no doubt that the philosophy and heart of this recipe come from a similar place to paella, kedgeree and risotto.
  2. Originally, any Louisiana ‘critter’ unlucky enough to get caught would have gone into this: rabbit, duck, squirrel, frog, alligator. . . you name it! And similarly, you can adapt it to whatever your local butcher or fishmonger happens to have. Go cheaper by using things like frozen prawns and chicken livers, or more expensive by including lobster or crab. I used an incredible local smoked sausage called andouille, but fresh chorizo or any other smoked sausage would work just as well.
  3. This dish makes me happy every time I eat it. And if more people than expected turn up for dinner just add a bit of extra rice.
  4. Season the chicken with salt, pepper and a pinch of cayenne. Pour a couple of lugs of oil into a large casserole type pan and brown the chicken pieces and sliced sausage over a medium heat. After 5 minutes, once nicely browned on all sides, add your onion, peppers and celery as well as your bay, thyme and a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir, then fry on a medium heat for 10 to 12 minutes stirring every now and again. It’s important to control the heat of the pan: you don’t want it to be so slow nothing’s happening, or so fast that things are catching and burning. You want a steady, solid heat.
  5. Once the veg have softened, add your garlic and chillies, stir around for a minute, then stir in the tinned tomatoes and chicken stock.
  6. Bring everything to the boil, then turn the heat down, pop the lid on the pan and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes. When you can pull the meat off the bone and shred it easily the chicken’s ready. Feel free to remove the chicken bones at this point if you like, then add your rice. Give it all a good stir, then put the lid on. Give it a stir every few minutes, scraping the goodness off the bottom of the pan as you go. Let it cook for about 15 to 20 minutes until the rice is perfectly cooked. Stir in the prawns and if it needs it, add enough water to make it a kind of porridgey consistency (look at the picture). Pop the lid back on and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes while you chop your parsley. Stir the parsley through and serve on a lovely big platter. I absolutely love this with a lemony green salad.
Andouille sausage sends it over the top.:)Jambalaya | Chicken Recipes | Jamie Oliver Recipes

Reactions: Debi
A favorite burger. Switch to a pretzel bun & saute onions and mushrooms with stone ground mustard. It is now Red Robins Octoberfest burger !
Favburger.jpg

Reactions: Lynne and Debi
Paint I need you to cook for me
Hey thanks, I just do bistro stuff, my brother and my Mom cover the 'elevated' stuff. I'm just the dishwasher who happens to put together a nice sandwich for my lunch box.

Reactions: Lynne
Aioli
The Tribute Recipe The video demonstrates how to whisk this garlicky awesomeness. Add OO real slow:)
I love this simple garlic, egg yolk, and olive oil 'do-all ' sauce. It's Spanish. Micheal Symon is one of my favorite TV chefs and I learned about it from his straight forward cook books.
Food Wishes Video Recipes: Is Aioli the Greatest Sauce Recipe Ever?

Last edited:
Reactions: Lynne and Debi