DARPA created this

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
'Mind control' AI chips can alter a person's moods | Daily Mail Online

AI brain implants that can change a person's mood are tested on HUMANS by the US military
  • Chips were created by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency
  • Algorithms detect patterns of brain activity associated with mood disorders
  • Electric shocks jolt a patient's brain back into a healthy state automatically
  • Shocks to specific regions improved empathy and the ability to concentrate
The US military has begun testing AI brain implants that can change a person's mood on humans.

These 'mind control' chips emit electronic pulses that alter brain chemistry in a process called 'deep brain stimulation.'

If they prove successful, the devices could be used to treat a number of mental health conditions and to ensure a better response to therapy.

The chips are the work of scientists at the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), a branch of the US Department of Defense which develops new technologies for the military.

Researchers from the University of California (UC) and Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) designed them to use artificial intelligence algorithms that detect patterns of activity associated with mood disorders.

Once detected, they can shock a patient's brain back into a healthy state automatically.

Experts believe the chips could be beneficial to patients with a range of illnesses, from Parkinson's disease to chronic depression.

Speaking to Nature, Edward Chang, a neuroscientist at the University of California, said: 'We’ve learned a lot about the limitations of our current technology.

The exciting thing about these technologies is that for the first time we’re going to have a window on the brain where we know what’s happening in the brain when someone relapses.'

The chips were tested in six people who have epilepsy and already have electrodes implanted in their brains to track their seizures.

Reactions: Gypsy
This sounds great from a medical standpoint. But then again, remember who developed this...DARPA! Think of the military uses. But hey, let's make it look good, shall we?

Reactions: Gypsy
It looks amazing, but I get ripping mad at every red stop light because I see the security camera hooked next to it. So, I think if I am that angry over purported aids in helping police departments catch people speeding or running red lights, I have to conclude putting a chip in my brain to help with supposedly some medical issues, isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Now I'll be paranoid every time I have to get general anesthesia! That is actually me being ridiculous, yet I remember reading an article about how very many people are already chipped and don't know it. One of the top ways it happens according to this article, is during oral surgery. So, is becoming an oral surgeon something that attracts malicious people, or are they getting paid large sums of
money for this little side action? I'm no expert, but I would guess they get paid a lot of money just doing their job as it is. Hmm.

Greed, corruption, a gazillion government files released with most of them full of redacted material. Ahh, the good old American way!

Reactions: NobleHouse and Debi
DARPA has created many things we use today on a regular basis. the military transit satellite system is what gave the civilian market G.P.S. ,.....
DARPA many years ago created ARPANET. a collection of discussion boards for joint service and government communications which became usenet which in turn became what the internet is today...(usenet is still there by the way, just buried under the current web...it is what is now known as the dark web...basically).. they also developed the siri app...and many, many more things we use everyday.... the scary thing is that what makes it to the civilian market is about 10-20 years behind the military tech.

Reactions: Lynne and Debi
Everything the military has scary possibilities. All we can do is hope they don’t use it on us. Not that there’s much we can do about it anyway.

Reactions: Debi