Dark Matter: Art Bell interviews Matthew Alper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mr. Alper certainly brings up many interesting points. The issue I have (besides his obnoxious NYC arrogance) is his need to tell people that what he is propagating is true based on science while those who believe in God (not talking about religion here) are simply wrong because he knows this isn't true. I find it quite obvious that there is a great deal of truth in his statements however, he has allowed his ego to step in and finds it necessary to attack and ridicule those who don't agree with him fully. As a member of Unity New Thought we see people are where they need to be at any given time on their paths. We also feel each person must tap into their relationship with God, Source, Higher Power, whatever you choose to name your spiritual intention. It should be noted that the brain was created, question; by who or what? A question Mr. Alper stays away from on a level he cannot impress others with his education or knowledge with. Is Mr. Arper smart, I'd say yes, is he wrong, no. He is on his path. The greatness of God is that God needs nothing from us, we do not need to defend God, God doesn't just love us God is love, God, Source, whatever the name you are comfortable with is love, is life, and yes is our mind or brain.
Mr. Alper is very typical of the intellectual elite who feel their ego's are much more important than their inability to grasp a spiritual power they cannot explain in their intellectual circles. It's alright as each of us has to walk our path, attacking or judging Mr. Alper only serves to feed his ego, I'd rather support his travel and send him love.

Reactions: Naked Apple
...is his need to tell people that what he is propagating is true based on science while those who believe in God (not talking about religion here) are simply wrong because he knows this isn't true. I find it quite obvious that there is a great deal of truth in his statements however, he has allowed his ego to step in and finds it necessary to attack and ridicule those who don't agree with him fully.

While I have no problem with his atheistic views, I do have a problem with his wanting to club others over the head with them. This is not unlike Bible thumpers who also want to club you over the head with their views. A Bible thumper will tell you that you are going to hell if you disagree with them, while last night's guest will tell you that you are ignorant, superstitious or abused if you disagree with him. Trying to shut down your opposition with emotional and deflective statements not only shuts down any constructive communication but is the hallmark of ignorance. As I said last night, willful ignorance.

He reminds me of those people in the Flat Earth Society who think that the Earth is flat, and no amount of evidence that you show them will convince them. They think it's all photoshopped or some kind of trick. They know what they know and they know the Earth is flat. Alper is the Flat Earth Society of the spiritual realm. Don't confuse him with any facts or intelligent arguments. He will simply poo-poo everything, or worse-deny that it happened. Alper needs to google the difference between anecdotal evidence and bona fide double blind experiments, since he seems to have those two terms confused. Anectdotal 'evidence' may be dismissed, but double blind studies cannot. At best, they should make an inquiring mind want to investigate.

Alper is so closed minded that he obviously has chosen a set of beliefs (atheism, no spirituality) and he dismisses any evidence shown to him that contradict his world views. That my friends, is a religion. I was raised as Catholic and we were told what we were supposed to believe, even if it flew in the face of real world experiences. We were supposed to just take everything on faith, much like he takes his set of beliefs on...err... how do I put this,...'faith'. Faith that no God or anything spiritual exists.

I also take issue, not just with Alper, but with the proselytizing atheists who are not simply happy to deny God, but they feel that they have to take God away from everyone. If they don't believe, you aren't allowed to believe either. No soup (or God) for you!!

As a member of Unity New Thought we see people are where they need to be at any given time on their paths. We also feel each person must tap into their relationship with God, Source, Higher Power, whatever you choose to name your spiritual intention. It should be noted that the brain was created, question; by who or what? A question Mr. Alper stays away from on a level he cannot impress others with his education or knowledge with. Is Mr. Arper smart, I'd say yes, is he wrong, no. He is on his path. The greatness of God is that God needs nothing from us, we do not need to defend God, God doesn't just love us God is love, God, Source, whatever the name you are comfortable with is love, is life, and yes is our mind or brain.
Mr. Alper is very typical of the intellectual elite who feel their ego's are much more important than their inability to grasp a spiritual power they cannot explain in their intellectual circles. It's alright as each of us has to walk our path, attacking or judging Mr. Alper only serves to feed his ego, I'd rather support his travel and send him love.

A beautiful sentiment. You seem like you are well on your journey. I recently brought one of the Seth books and am discovering the Abraham (Hicks) material. Neal Walsch is also very enjoyable with his Talking to God series of books. I suppose what it amounts to is that in the end, Alper is an object of pity. Not because he does not have a higher power in his life, but because his mind is so closed he will never stumble into the light or truth.

Last edited:
So bummed I missed it, didn't feel well so I passed out at 9:30 (totally unheard of!) ! I'll be listening to it today while I work, seems like it was a good one!
It was good in a sense, and really frustrating in a sense - hard to explain, but let us know what you think! :confused:

Been looking this morning for the archive of the show on SiriusXM and it isn't showing up - any ideas ? I am having Dark Matter WITHDRAWALS !!!
I found that the easiest way to find them is to go to the on demand tab, then type in "Art Bell". Once his show pops up, just click it and you will see the available shows for playing.

Great post EJA.

Dude! I am born and raised. Not all of us NY'ers are a-holes. He is just a special case.

While I have no problem with his atheistic views, I do have a problem with his wanting to club others over the head with them. This is not unlike Bible thumpers who also want to club you over the head with their views. A Bible thumper will tell you that you are going to hell if you disagree with them, while last night's guest will tell you that you are ignorant, superstitious or abused if you disagree with him. Trying to shut down your opposition with emotional and deflective statements not only shuts down any constructive communication but is the hallmark of ignorance. As I said last night, willful ignorance.

He reminds me of those people in the Flat Earth Society who think that the Earth is flat, and no amount of evidence that you show them will convince them. They think it's all photoshopped or some kind of trick. They know what they know and they know the Earth is flat. Alper is the Flat Earth Society of the spiritual realm. Don't confuse him with any facts or intelligent arguments. He will simply poo-poo everything, or worse-deny that it happened. Alper needs to google the difference between anecdotal evidence and bona fide double blind experiments, since he seems to have those two terms confused. Anectdotal 'evidence' may be dismissed, but double blind studies cannot. At best, they should make an inquiring mind want to investigate.

Alper is so closed minded that he obviously has chosen a set of beliefs (atheism, no spirituality) and he dismisses any evidence shown to him that contradict his world views. That my friends, is a religion. I was raised as Catholic and we were told what we were supposed to believe, even if it flew in the face of real world experiences. We were supposed to just take everything on faith, much like he takes his set of beliefs on...err... how do I put this,...'faith'. Faith that no God or anything spiritual exists.

I also take issue, not just with Alper, but with the proselytizing atheists who are not simply happy to deny God, but they feel that they have to take God away from everyone. If they don't believe, you aren't allowed to believe either. No soup (or God) for you!!

A beautiful sentiment. You seem like you are well on your journey. I recently brought one of the Seth books and am discovering the Abraham (Hicks) material. Neal Walsch is also very enjoyable with his Talking to God series of books. I suppose what it amounts to is that in the end, Alper is an object of pity. Not because he does not have a higher power in his life, but because his mind is so closed he will never stumble into the light or truth.

Great post Nekki! He was very hypocritical, espousing his beliefs as fact, yet denying anyone else's right to their views dismissing them as you said as superstitious, abused fools.

Great post Nekki! He was very hypocritical, espousing his beliefs as fact, yet denying anyone else's right to their views dismissing them as you said as superstitious, abused fools.

Thanks, Roy. Yeah, I noticed that he decided that his interpretation of observed behaviors was gospel, no pun intended. For example, parts of the brain lighting up may have been consciousness effecting that region of the material brain-not the brain manufacturing feelings because that part of the brain was active. He was not open to other interpretations, just his own which he presented as conclusive fact.

Interesting show, but I wished the guest didn't breathe into the microphone as much :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.