Technology Cyber Sickness a real thing

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/11/14/feeling-woozy-it-may-be-cyber-sickness/

If you are watching computer-generated mayhem in the latest action film or scrolling rapidly on your smartphone, you may start to feel a little off. Maybe it is a dull headache or dizziness or creeping nausea.

And no, it is not something you ate.

A peculiar side effect of the 21st century is something called digital motion sickness or cybersickness. Increasingly common, according to medical and media experts, it causes a person to feel woozy, as if on a boat in a churning sea, from viewing moving digital content.

“It’s a fundamental problem that’s been kind of been swept under the carpet in the tech industry,” said Cyriel Diels, a cognitive psychologist and human factors researcher at Coventry University’s Center for Mobility and Transport in England. “It’s a natural response to an unnatural environment.”

Digital motion sickness, known among medical professionals as visually induced motion sickness, stems from a basic mismatch between sensory inputs, said Steven Rauch, medical director of theMassachusetts Eye and Ear Balance and Vestibular Center and professor of otolaryngology at Harvard Medical School.

“Your sense of balance is different than other senses in that it has lots of inputs,” he said. “When those inputs don’t agree, that’s when you feel dizziness and nausea.”

Anyone out there ever experience this?

Reactions: Maphoo
It happens to me all the time, particularly in the last year since my left side inner ear issues. I am sensitive to repetitious or repeating GIF images, to digitally generated graphic images that zoom and pan quickly. I get headaches and nausea. My solution is to quickly close my eyes or focus somewhere else, sorta like I did as a young adult when the room was spinning from excess alcohol. The graphic shown on this page http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/11/13/world/europe/paris-shooting-attacks.html from one of our MFans Paris threads is a good example. I like reading and learning the information; I just have to be careful when the digutal graphics zoom and pans a lot.

Reactions: Armand and Debi