Beverly Gilmour and NDEs

A review of Skeptiko...

I haven't listened to the two skeptiko shows I've seen you posted, but have read through the transcripts. Checked out the site and some show topics. Looks to be pretty cool.

I see from the transcripts that the host is indeed doing interviews on subjects that would be considered to leave a listener/reader being 'skeptical'. I wish he would put a little more research into the guest/topic though. He is trying to come from a skeptical point of view with the questions but when he gets vague answers that don't prove anything there is no prying or digging to unveil fraud/lunacy/fanciful imagination. Nothing.

This particular lady had extremely vague answers or avoided the question by talking around it, and handing out more information that left me with even more doubt of her legitimacy. Again he didn't try get her to expound on the original question nor the newly brought to life assertions.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the show. I thought it was to get solid truth and proof from skeptical stories...in order to allow the guest to provide that proof.

When some random lady who claims her heart stops beating everytime she sleeps thus dying and having NDEs all the time...pretty sure everyone would want to get medical backup from these claims.

Here is the host finally getting around to try find some solid proof:

Alex Tsakiris: So Beverley, one more medical question here. You said your heartbeat goes to nil, is this something your doctors have verified or even someone around you has verified — that your heartbeat is very faint or medically they’d have to kind of hook you up to an EKG or something and say you have no heartbeat. What are you saying medically when you say that?

Beverley Gilmour: It stops, I mean it just stops, it stops beating.

Great. She already told him that. He outright asks about medical proof. She says her heart stops. No mention of any medical proof. At this time he actually did ask how does she know that. The answer is she can feel it. People she knows say when she goes into this state she's unresponsive. So I guess she feels herself die every time she sleeps. So why does she refer to these deaths as a 'state' and others say she's unresponsive during the 'states'?

This odd response is followed with a story about her being pregnant many years ago and hooked up to monitors. Apparently she flatlined. This is her medical proof. One flatline instance with no doctor names to at least let people investigate the truth of the story themselves.

She then says, after being asked, that it was the same exact experience as all of the other ones she apparently has regularly.

So there we go. Other than one other time early in the conversation, did she mention any other doctors involved with this. Nothing about testing, exams, machine monitoring etc.
Just unnamed doctors at an unknown facility.

To complete my point about not enough research beforehand or probing for solid evidence, here is what the host has to say:

Alex Tsakiris: We’ve established [the medical part of your experience], tell us about the spiritual phenomenon...

What?? We did?? When??

Anyway she goes on to the spiritual side of her story which involves all of the typical NDE experiences over the years. Seeing her body after she floats out up and over herself. Sees the white light. Sees a passed over relative. Gets to know Jesus is there for everyone after death.

I have to say that I personally think this woman is full of...a lot of things, but not the truth. I wasn't getting any proof, or follow up digging from the host, about all of the vague answers, and quite frankly from the whole conversion. My ending decision: I remain skeptical of the story. Actually, I was left even more skeptical than at the start.

Now I'm left wondering what on earth did the host hear and gain out of this interview to conclude the following:

"I was extremely skeptical going into this interview, and I have to say, I’m less skeptical coming out. I don’t know what to make of everything that Beverley has to say and you’ll hear that in this interview as well, but I’m not too quick to dismiss what she says either."

Watch my head slam on the desk..er, phone screen. I wanted the down and dirty questioning I would expect from a site and show named Skeptiko.

The woman claims she dies when she sleeps. Her heart stops. She is no longer breathing and her brain shuts down. Yes indeed. A truly bizarre claim leaving most people skeptical.

I'm waiting for the nitty gritty. Thinking this host is going to rip this story apart. A heart stopping and ending in death during all times of sleep. This should be good!

Instead I got a host who asks about doctors proof of this purported story, or even evidence from medical results of a simple ekg test...and is perfectly okay with an answer of: It stops, I mean it just stops, it stops beating.

There you go. Clear as day evidence this lady's claims are obviously true. Why? Because she said so! :unamused:

I am still going to listen or read show transcripts of his other guests and topics despite my apparent lackluster commentary. I am weirdly intrigued with this show now.

I did read the other show I saw posted here about the therapist who integrates her religion into her patient's therapy sessions. Wicca is her religion. She did say she relies on any visions she may have during an appointment. This is used to help the patient by integrating the visions with traditional therapy training.

I understand this fact alone would raise skepticism in anybody. For me, I wasn't even focusing on that specific topic because I was trying to deal with all of the inconsistencies and plain old opposite beliefs from the 'norm' of her religion.

As before...research and more intense follow up questions needed from the host. I have enjoyed the topics very much. Somebody just needs to remind the host that he is a self proclaimed skeptic. I'm determined to find a show to prove he actually is.

Final conclusion: Skeptiko shows and it's host have led me to be believe I am 100% skeptical OF the actual shows and host.

:smilecat:

Reactions: 7Critter and Debi