Baffled by UFO in Chicago

This reminds me of experiments NASA and NOAA have done in the past. They do it by releasing barium into the atmosphere from sounding rockets. Here's an example from a few years ago. Not sure where there are any sounding rocket launch sites near Chicago.

KINET-X-launch-cloud-500x372.jpeg

This reminds me of experiments NASA and NOAA have done in the past. They do it by releasing barium into the atmosphere from sounding rockets. Here's an example from a few years ago. Not sure where there are any sounding rocket launch sites near Chicago.

View attachment 53745
What is the purpose to the sounding rockets, Duke? What measurements can be taken with them?

What is the purpose to the sounding rockets, Duke? What measurements can be taken with them?
They are used by atmospheric scientists for high altitude research. I know very little about them, but would assume they are instrumented for basic parameters like atmospheric pressure, humidity, temperature, air density, etc. I'd also think they'd have bays where specialized instrumentation can be installed for specific experiments.

Reactions: Lynne and Debi
Duke you are amazing! It well could be that it certainly has the same colors. It does look like a crazy ufo though.

Reactions: Lynne and crux