Amazon and Walmart have begun using Drones....for delivery!

I'm in the middle of nowhere so I won't have to deal with this. Amazon tried this some years ago. Didn't work well,but I'm sure there have been improvements.

Reactions: Ragnar0711
I remember talking to people about this like 15 years ago. It was my prediction that AI controlled drones and self driving cars were going to completely change the way we handle deliveries, taxis and medical emergencies.

I said that soon, instead of going to a drive thru for fast food you would order online, like we did for pizza, but instead of a delivery driver it would be flown to you via Drone.

Taxis would go away (this was a few years before Uber was a thing) and instead a self driving car would take you to and from your destination. So let's say you were taking a flight somewhere, you could drive yourself to the airport but instead of paying for parking your car would just drive itself back to your house. Then when you got back it would drive itself from your house to come get you at the airport. In fact, you wouldn't even need your own car as they could be let out as needed like taxis.

I also see a future where AI controlled arms can administer basic (then later not so basic) medical aid. These will be standard on ambulances to assist the paramedic (not completely replace, not right away) while the vehicle itself can navigate its way to the hospital. Wealthy people will be able to have a medical room in their own home, but after a while this will be a common sight in all new homes and there will be a cottage industry that can retrofit/convert a spare bedroom or bathroom into an "auto doc" room. Big cities will have auto hospitals on various street corners where anyone in the neighborhood can go for basic treatment.

People laughed and told me I was watching too much SciFi, playing too many video games. And while that is absolutely true, I don't think I'm wrong.

How do they deliver to people living in apartments? Mailboxes are usually in covered areas and so are individual apartment front doors. Do they just drop it in the street?
That’s a good question, I would guess they probably don’t. And keep in mind, advancements always have a learning curve. If they’re serious about it, trust me, they will refine it and perfect it. One feather in their cap is that drones are already super technologically advanced more now, than they’ve ever been.

We used to have to cook popcorn on the stove top in an aluminum skillet that blew up to a big aluminum bubble, now we have microwaves! Lol. Technological evolution! Lol

That’s a good question, I would guess they probably don’t. And keep in mind, advancements always have a learning curve. If they’re serious about it, trust me, they will refine it and perfect it. One feather in their cap is that drones are already super technologically advanced more now, than they’ve ever been.

We used to have to cook popcorn on the stove top in an aluminum skillet that blew up to a big aluminum bubble, now we have microwaves! Lol. Technological evolution! Lol
Don't Forget :D
dick-tracy-watch-_dtwatch.fit_lim.size_750x.jpg

How do they deliver to people living in apartments? Mailboxes are usually in covered areas and so are individual apartment front doors. Do they just drop it in the street?
Good point, I am guessing it wouldn't be possible and only some address' would be available for this service.

Reactions: crux