10-17-2017 Tuesday Live Chat Thread

7Critter

Paranormal Trooper
Staff
Reaction score
PNF-Share.jpg

Oh happy Tuesday, all. My recent travels had me going through Columbus Ohio on my way to visit family. As I stopped in Newark Ohio to get a bite to eat, I read about the area and discovered the Newark Earthworks.

newark-earthworks-view-from-heath.jpg

" Seventeen centuries ago, Newark, Ohio, was a major center for a remarkable ancient culture. Here, American Indians built the largest geometric earthwork complex in the world. Enormous enclosures connected by walled roadways were spread across more than four square miles. This was the most spectacular of many such earthworks, concentrated along the tributaries of the Ohio River, marking the people’s beliefs, rituals, and sense of community. Today only fragments remain, although here at Newark we can still walk among these vast shapes, and feel how they direct our eyes and footsteps.

Two of the most impressive features from ancient Newark remain today – the Octagon and Great Circle – helping visitors grasp the literally unbelievable scope, beauty, and precision of this unique architecture. Awed settlers discovered, described, and began to measure it in the early 1800s. The impact of these monuments on the visitor today is still stunning, creating an architectural experience like no other on earth. "
[ excerpt from the article Newark - click on the "about the site" tab]

I stopped by the earthworks, walked the grounds, talked to some locals who visit the place. Everyone I talked to says that there is an air of goodness about the place. I agree. The bright circle in the photo above are the grounds that I walked. I also stopped at the icon "eagle mound" in the center of the circle for reflection.

My readings indicate that the Newark site was built as kind of, what we would call today, a convention center, a central point where many would gather from time to time for celebrations, ceremonies, social events, etc. The history of the place and the people is quite fascinating. Ironically, Columbus Ohio, in the center of the state is the capital of Ohio, a gathering of state legislators. Perhaps the Native Americans were on to something.

Reactions: NobleHouse