‘Catastrophic’ lack of sleep is killing us!

You brought up a subject that really believe in. What about other stuff we should be doing?
I have a golf. Buddy 20 years ago. Dr. Dentist. He was a disciplined man in his habits of healthy living. Last time I saw him was at my Dad's funeral. He was in his late 80's. Looked great ! My Dads pals looked like Keith Richards compared to Dr. Dentist. Dad's running boy's were 70ish.
His formula : Never finish your plate. 2 drinks maximum. Walk.
We always walked the golf course rather than take a cart. It sure slows down the pace. But I really think he was teaching me to slow down the pace between my ears.

This is one area I've actually been working on. I've had to set some boundaries with others to get the hours I need, and also have to carefully manage pain so I can GET to sleep. I've recently learned the "art" of napping. That "turn off your brain" midday thing. One thing I've found is it is essential to give yourself "permission" to get rest. It has to become a priority on the self care list.

I'm improving daily! lol

This is one area I've actually been working on. I've had to set some boundaries with others to get the hours I need, and also have to carefully manage pain so I can GET to sleep. I've recently learned the "art" of napping. That "turn off your brain" midday thing. One thing I've found is it is essential to give yourself "permission" to get rest. It has to become a priority on the self care list.

I'm improving daily! lol
I totally agree with the "give yourself permission" statement. For people who are care givers the guilt about resting is huge and keeps us from sleeping even when we try. Out mind tells us we should be doing something. So the guilt keeps us from falling asleep. YOU NAILED IF DEBI!

I spent 20 years working the night shift. I hope the damage from that is not permanent ?